Yay or Nay: Ford Vs. Ferrari (Film)


This was another movie that my family decided to watch during one of our nights of quarantine a few weeks back. My family happens to like cars, things to do with racing, among car models, so I have a healthy respect and knowledge of them. In particular, one part of this that stands out is my family’s trip about four years ago to Modena, Italy, where we toured the Ferrari factory, which is where I learned about this true story that this movie, Ford vs. Ferrari is based on. 

With regard to this movie, I went in not really enthusiastic but came out thoroughly entertained. Ford vs. Ferrari is a really good film, with an engaging storyline and touching friendship between two men who just loved to race. I never thought I’d say a car movie has hit one of my top favourite films of the year, but it is hitting it! So without further ado, this is my review of Ford vs. Ferrari. 

THE STORY


As taken from IMDB, mainly because it summarizes the story really nicely: 

American automotive designer Carroll Shelby and fearless British race car driver Ken Miles battle corporate interference, the laws of physics, and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary vehicle for the Ford Motor Co. Together, they plan to compete against the race cars of Enzo Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France in 1966.

So essentially to provide some context: Around the time, Ford Automobiles was considered cheap and ugly as compared to world-renowned “Ferrari”. Looking for ways to legitimize the brand worldwide, Henry Ford II is told to get into the world of racing, of which Ford has not entered (and with its reputation), is not expected to do well. He employs the only American driver to ever win the Le Mans 24-hour race in France, Carroll Shelby (yes of the Shelby Cobra, and car brand) to design a car that can win against a Ferrari (which becomes the Ford GT-40— I believe). Together he, and British race-car driver Ken Miles design this car which, in 1966 beats out Ferrari at the Le Mans race. In context, this film speaks to Shelby and Miles’ friendship during this time, as well as the relationship between Ford and Ferrari, which led to Ford entering, and later winning the Le Mans race. 

MY THOUGHTS


This movie is fast-paced (literally), witty, and engaging. There’s never a dull moment, per se, and the dialogue in what can be considered a “dull or low” moment is well-paced and kept me engaged. This is partly because you have two stories going simultaneously— Ford vs Ferrari, and Shelby and Miles. You can’t take your eyes off the screen for a moment, otherwise, you’ll miss a detail. Even if you have no interest in cars or automobile/racing history, you’ll still get wrapped up in the fast-paced, and deliciously layered storylines going on. It mirrors the action racing scenes, which are just as enticing, even for the viewer that, again, may not be as interested in cars. You also happen to learn a lot about the racing industry, and car-building, which I appreciated. The film doesn’t treat you like a dummy but does take the time to explain things to you, in a way that still feels as fast-paced that it's not exposition, but understandable. It’s a story that’s just good, and that’s all I can say to describe it. It’s engaging, well-paced, and keeps you “into” the movie itself. I don’t recall feeling bored or taken out of the film at any point (unless it was a break). I actually felt a part of the movie, actively moving with it, rather than passively observing. I love that feeling, and it’s only acquired when you stumble across that rare gem of a film. 

Matt Damon and Christian Bale, my God, do they make these people come to life on the screen. Kudos to Bale, I’m not sure if he did win an award for this movie, but if he didn’t, he should. I almost didn’t recognize him, he’s that good— you only see the character or his portrayal, (which runs through and through) of Ken Miles. Now that is rare, and it’s a raw talent that should be commended. Likely, it’s one of the reasons that (along with Damon’s performance) that the film and plot itself becomes so engaging. Both of these actors put in their all and more when bringing these characters onto the silver screen. And you can tell because it keeps you coming back and wanting to know what happens next. I cannot rave enough about how impressive the acting and direction was in this film, but I do encourage you to go to see it because it is amazing. 

The one thing that I can’t speak for his it’s historical accuracy, although, from the major events the movie does touch on in the film, it seems to be based on quick Wikipedia searches I did (which isn’t exactly research but it seems to follow the general series of events faithfully). I do feel like the film does sensationalize the “American-ness” of the whole ordeal, given the story does seem to turn into an “America versus Not-America” stereotype at times. There’s one particular scene I won’t spoil here, but it, of course, seems like a bow-down and homage to the great American automobile industry. That, and I’m not sure if what that scene depicted actually happened (Ferrari, subtly congratulating the American Shelby team at Le Mans). 



MY RATING


Overall though, this is a great movie to watch and I would recommend it if you haven’t seen it already (it released in 2019). It’s a good flick and you’ll be on the edge of your seat every step of the way. 

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5 Stars) 


~Meghan 

Comments

Popular Posts