Yay or Nay: Court of Darkness (Otome Game)

 

Yeah, so I’m a bit behind on this one. But I figured since about fourteen chapters have been released it was about time to review it. My thoughts? I really hope they make spin-off routes for each character, because this is giving me such Niflheim meets Wizardess Heart, meets Enchanted in the Moonlight vibes. 


In short, I really like it! But it would be so much more fun if it wasn’t just an extremely large prologue in the form of a full story, and actually had playable routes for each individual character! 


So, let’s get into it! This is my review of Voltage’s more recent Love 365 release— Court of Darkness. 


The Story


Very shortly, the story is that you, as the MC (the main character) are a normal girl living in Tokyo. One night, however, you are transported from your normal everyday life to that of a dark and fantastical magical realm. Met by five royal princes, as well as your cat familiar, you are told that you have a magical ability that nobody else has. While trying to figure out what this power is, and how you can get back to your world, you’re thrust into a magical academy where you learn to cast spells and dance at balls. All the while, the royal princes you’ve met compete for the chance to unlock the secret magic ability contained within you. 


So I think the story is interesting, albeit a mixture of different Shall We Date as well as Voltage games of old. Very old now, since Shall We Date discontinued both of the games mentioned above (Niflheim and Wizardess Heart) to pursue a new direction, much to my anger. But that’s a story for another day. The game has a classic otome style, similar to Voltage’s classic games (a la Enchanted in the Moonlight). I think it takes some of the best elements of each and combines them into something really unique—although I haven’t exactly been a fan of the magical school trope used here. Overall though, it’s intriguing. 


My Thoughts 


So, given that this is essentially a big prologue to what is—I assume, a full-fledged game, it can sometimes be a bit slow, and there’s, of course, not much plot development. But, there is some, and it paves the way to make me want to know more. It focuses predominantly on the MC figuring out why she’s here, in this world, and why the princes have such an interest in her. As well as trying to figure out how to get back home, since (in true trope fashion) she can’t really call upon her magic or use it regularly or in any meaningful way. I feel like that might be a trope that will continue in a route (and one I frequently see and do not like), but perhaps it’s also a plot point. Either way, it’s nice to take the time, and see the story do both world-building and character set-up. I enjoyed getting to know the princes first, as well as the world, and the scenes (such as MC with Roy) walking and interacting with the world the story takes place in. As well as the magic school’s rules, and policies. While other games might not have this, I’m glad to see Court of Darkness doing it. It really helps to immerse the reader. 


As well, the characters (princes) are each intriguing in their own way. Sure, it may be the typical otome game guy tropes, but they are none the less entertaining to read. My favourite is Fenn, and I feel like if they do release a route for him, it will be fun. But Lynt, Toa, and Guy also seem interesting to me as well. As a first for me personally, I am actually interested and do want to read all the routes. Normally that isn’t the case as I’ll pick maybe one or two I like (my exception to this rule being Star Crossed Myth, and War of Prayers). But here, I could easily see myself enjoying and being engaged in each of these characters, so it does seem like another interesting plus for the game. 


Honestly, as a final thought as well, this story seems to go a bit deeper than your average game as well. Rather than it being just about the MC trying to get home, or blindly accepting her fate and going with the flow (she does, but it is strongly acknowledged that she doesn’t belong and this is temporary), the story also explores a wider plot—something looming in the distance that has to do with the MC that is not explained, and rather than being predictable, has actually gotten me wanting to see what it is. It’s not a simple linear story, but one with interesting and multiple plot points. 


My Rating


So, I would recommend the prologue right now! You can access it for free on Voltage’s app, Love 365, and chapters are updated weekly. I’m not sure when these will stop, but for now, you can go and read the story from the beginning! Hopefully, they add individual routes for each of the characters, however. 


My Rating (thus far): ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (4 stars)



~Meghan 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts