Yay or Nay: A Rose in the Embers (Otome Game)


So with all the crazy things going on in the world right now, it’s a great time to start reading a new series, or play a new game! And I’ll be honest, I haven’t been since I’ve been trying to archive all my old Shall We Date games since they’re being deleted. But I was able to start a new game which I’ll review here this week, Voltage’s A Rose in the Embers. I’m trying to be positive about this, but the reality is, I am beginning to just be unhappy about everything being shut down or cancelled, even though I completely understand why. That’s all I’m gonna say on the topic, the whole thing has completely bummed me out. 

Surprisingly, I wasn’t able to find much content assessing how good this game was, but from the YouTubers/reviewers that have looked at it, they’ve enjoyed it. Specifically the historical aspect, slow-burn storyline, and artwork. All of which I will touch on here, and I can say that, yes, I have very much liked.

The Story 


Taking place in the Taisho Period of Japan, you are a country girl looking for work in the big city to send back home to your family. Unaware fully of how ruthless the city, and it’s high-class elite can be, you find work (and fully paid up front!) as a maid in the Kobairoh, an inn catering to the city’s finest. After discovering that the inn’s mistress has essentially pawned you off as a prostitute to these wealthy guests, you are rescued by Kyosuke Takatsukasa (mouthful of a name eh?), an heir to an earldom who offers the mistress double the price she paid for you to “set you free”. Together, with his colleagues, Takahisa Togo, a cold and aloof Imperial army captain, Misao Higuchi, an ukiyo-e artist living at the Kobairoh Inn,  and Tsukumo Kobayakawa an author who likes to be the smartest in the room. Note: there is a side route for Atsuro Shibusawa the Omurice Cafe owner (but I don’t believe he is included in the prologue). One of them will then offer you their hand (let’s be honest, depending on which route you pick) to see who you will then go to live with.

As another sidenote: Someone pointed out that this was if Cinderella meets Kissed By the Baddest Bidder (another Voltage title, and widely popular at that). WHICH HOLY SHIT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE. 

My Thoughts


So yes, one of the positives I have to say about this game is literally the artwork and the seeming accuracy of the setting and society (as well as language itself!). It’s a really immersive game that way. As well, the characters move— so say, when in the story it says a certain character moves closer to you, they do so on the screen! Kind of like what Kings of Paradise did. This is definitely a higher end Voltage game, which has implemented those new changes that users were asking about. Fair warning though, this game focuses a lot on the history, less on the romance. The story is a slow burn— so you will get romance, just not as much as other titles. But that in itself can be a good thing—establish the world, and then get to the character development. Even though when I was playing I didn’t get a lot of those romantic moments early on, the world itself is actually fairly interesting and engaging. 

One of the things I like about this game is that I can’t guess where this story is going to turn and what the route I’m playing will hold. Specifically in Misao’s route (no spoilers), he’s very mysterious. History buff aside, it’s also interesting to get a glimpse of this period of history. While it’s not my favourite time period, it’s a fun way to learn about it. It also helps that the routes I’ve picked have all been top notch. Having wanted to play this game for a while, so far my playthroughs haven’t been disappointing, but intriguing. I think that is a good mix for games like these. While I wasn’t as keen on Kings of Paradise as I was with this game, I do like this one. I feel like it is, as some have said, a better version of Kissed By the Baddest Bidder. Not that I didn’t like that game, I did. But that wasn’t to say that it was my favourite thing I’ve ever played, and I certainly think it has it’s faults. I feel like A Rose in the Embers actually is a better version of the same type of story KBTBB wanted to be, and in a more historical setting. So if you liked the dynamics of KBTBB, then you’ll certainly appreciate this. Since I’m a little late to the game, that is, if you haven’t already. I have yet to play the “canon” route, Kyosuke, but he’s next on my list. 

My Rating 


As I said, I’m a little late to the game, but I would say give this game a try! I feel like it fell under the radar since Voltage’s new releases seem to have overshadowed it, but do give this game a try! It’s a really fun and interesting one! 

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐(4 Stars)


~Meghan 

Comments

Popular Posts