Yay or Nay?: My (Not So) Perfect Life (Novel)


So this is a novel that Olga encouraged me to give a read! My Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella was one of the books that I asked for on my birthday last month, and after giving it a try, I can indeed say that this was a novel well-written! I really enjoyed this book, as it’s one about growing, and becoming your own person, as well as realizing that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, no matter how it may appear. 

And I felt I really needed that type of message now, being in an “in-between” state of my life, between jobs, between school, etc. So without further ado lets get into the review! 

The Story 


So, because this specific excerpt actually explains the story just as I would’ve, I’ll link it here. So as GoodReads says: 

Everywhere Katie Brenner looks, someone else is living the life she longs for, particularly her boss, Demeter Farlowe. Demeter is brilliant and creative, lives with her perfect family in a posh townhouse, and wears the coolest clothes. Katie's life, meanwhile, is a daily struggle--from her dismal rental to her oddball flatmates to the tense office politics she's trying to negotiate. No wonder Katie takes refuge in not-quite-true Instagram posts, especially as she's desperate to make her dad proud.

Then, just as she's finding her feet--not to mention a possible new romance--the worst happens. Demeter fires Katie. Shattered but determined to stay positive, Katie retreats to her family's farm in Somerset to help them set up a vacation business. London has never seemed so far away--until Demeter unexpectedly turns up as a guest. Secrets are spilled and relationships rejiggered, and as the stakes for Katie's future get higher, she must question her own assumptions about what makes for a truly meaningful life.

So this story is very much like a comedy slash lifetime drama, and very much plays out like that too, with some really unexpected and crime-level twists! From day one you get sucked in with the relatability of Katie— a girl who fears she has to keep up appearances as a rich and cultured London girl, but who genuinely cannot afford it, and someone who wishes that she could have the perfect life of so many others that litter her Instagram feed. 

My Thoughts 


I felt that, at it’s core, this novel was really relatable for a number of reasons. But the main one being that person that sees everyone else living a perfect life, and feeling like something is wrong with you, or that they were luckier. I think that’s something that a lot of people (a la myself) can relate to, and understand. It’s getting out of that rut that this story focuses on and becoming a better version of yourself, and I think that this book does that extremely well 

Character development is key here. Katie goes from a pitiful, depressed character who thinks she can’t change her fate, and cannot be who she really is, to someone who takes charge, grows, and becomes someone who she is proud to be. She discovers people aren’t always what they seem— that people like her boss aren’t always perfect, nor are they bitches, and that those who she thought were friends could have a secret dark side she never saw. I think that’s an important moral or lesson to have in a novel. There’s not enough of them— and I’m not talking about Y/A or in fantasy. This takes place in the real world we live in. It also shows the dangers of relying too much on social media, and that social media only shows the best parts of people’s lives. I think this novel not only is accurate in these messages, but showcases it in a fun way that gives room for you and Katie to grow together. 

I keep saying grow, but I think that’s a very important theme in this novel. We all feel trapped in our lives, looking for ways to escape, as Katie does. But rather than run away, have one dimensional characters, or prove that these “people” Katie sees are exactly as they are, the book does more than that, and gives you strategies on how to get out of that rut and become a better “you”. And I think that’s very valuable and applicable to it’s audience. For a novel, I feel that’s a rare thing that should be commended.

One thing that I will say I did not like about this book is that there is a lot of drawn on, constantly going descriptions about how things are in her life, at least in the beginning. It’s like the author decided to “tell not show”, which I felt was very backward, and for a little bit, bored me. Like, I think the office politics speak for themselves I don’t need to hear all this pointless background about Rosa or the other characters. It doesn’t really play a big deal to the climax of the story. The second thing was that Katie could be/was unnecessarily cruel in some parts. Like I understand she’s lost her job and she’s angry. I get it. But her means of seeking revenge (which I won’t spoil here) bordered on uncharacteristically mean, rather than tit for tat. 

My Rating


I would definitely give this a buy or a borrow! It’s a good book you’ll enjoy and have a great time with. If nothing else, it’s good therapy for a very relatable life situation you may be going through! Check it out! 

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 1/2 (4.5 stars)


~Meghan 

Comments

Popular Posts