Yay or Nay: the gods lie. (Manga)


This manga has all the feels, I can promise you that! I picked this up because it reminded me of a story similar to Your Name with an emotional plotline that eventually breaks my heart and reminds me that reality is often really gritty and shitty. Anddddd it's really good and that's exactly what I got! Right now, this will be a shorter review than most since it's been a busy week, I'm sick, and I'll be convocating for the second time tomorrow getting my master's degree! So without further ado this is a short and sweet review (much like the manga!) of Kaori Ozaki's the gods lie. 

The Story 

Our story begins with 6th grade soccer players Natsuru Nunao, who strikes up an unlikely friendship with his classmate Rio Suzumura. Instead of going to soccer camp for the summer, Nunao lies about where he goes and ends up spending the summer at Rio's house with her and her little brother. There, Nunao discovers a secret that may threaten to tear them a part. 

A pretty run of the mill story I know. But here's the kicker-- everyone in Nunao's family is distant from him, and Rio Suzumura lives alone with her little brother, and Nunao doesn't know why. 

My Thoughts 

The most compelling thing about this manga was it's emotional quality, as I've said, with characters who befall very tragic circumstances. The question to ask here-- and one that gets asked a lot is "why do bad things happen to good people?" This is a common theme between both Rio and Nunao's storylines, that bad things happen to them and other people they love dearly, and that nothing is ever black or white, or exactly as it seems. They're both children who have to learn one of life's hardest lessons at a very vulnerable time in their lives, and learn that not even some friendships can hide the darkest of secrets. And this is a large part of why I liked the story, and why it was so potent for me. 

In the first half of the story you get a feel for the characters themselves, and slowly (albeit in a little bit rushed manner) get a feel for each of their life situations before the story takes an abrupt and rather dark turn. And of course an answer to the question echoed throughout the book that I mentioned earlier, and why the gods lie. It is a gentle, simple, and difficult tale to get through that pulls at your heartstrings and reminds you that life in general often has no happy endings, and that the most sacred of promises, again, might be too much for two kids to overcome. I kind of liked that message, in a sad sort of way, that is a hard truth and an accurate one. Regardless the manga is a good and short one that is really down to earth and that you can have a good cry at.

One thing that I did notice, and that many oher readers also noticed was that this manga is really short and there is only one in the entire series. So that's both a positive and negative. If you want a quick, good, read this is the one for you. But on the other hand I felt that Rio and Nunao's time spent in the summer went by way too quickly and then the climax of the manga happened and it was over. I read it in two hours. I feel like a lot of the events that were described well in the book were amazing, but others had such potential even more than they already did. And the events that were not as detailed, well again, they were good, but they could have been even more detailed and better. That's not saying they were bad by any means, because they weren't at all, but I am saying the story, characters, and plot could've been slowed down even more than they already were. 

My Rating

So I liked this manga and since it's not well-known, I would recommend supporting it as much as possible, give it a buy or borrow or download! But be warned to have tissues nearby, or to be playing sad music afterward all day (haha) as it is an emotional rollercoaster, but a good one none the less! 

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐


~Meghan 

Comments

Popular Posts