Yay or Nay? I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Maurene Goo






It's been a while! I know, I am so lame, not only do I keep on neglecting by responsibilities of being a co-blogger by not writing, I also always start the posts the same way. Like how unoriginal can I be?
Well, lucky for you, I had a chance to read an interesting book that's much more original than me! Cause have any of you ever read a book about an overachiever using K-Dramas to land a boyfriend?

The Story

Basically, what I just said above :-p But for realsies, it's all about this girl named Desi who's perfect and successful at literally everything except for finding herself some love. One day she happens to get hooked on the amazingness of Korean dramas (which her single dad is a huge fan of) and they give her an idea - to create a step by step plan on getting a boyfriend based on the K-Drama plotlines. And she begins using it on a hot artsy new guy named Luca Drakos (sounds like an Italian vampire to me, but whatever floats your boat, Desi). And then she does some crazy shit to stick to the plan and make him fall in love with her.

My Thoughts

This is exactly the kind of book that I enjoy reading! It's super light, fast-paced, and absolutely hilarious! And it totally helps that I am on a real K-Drama kick lately! I also loved the characters here cause they were nicely fleshed and many of them were just super fun to read about! Particularly Fiona and Desi's dad. 

However despite, the fun and the crazy antics, there were a few things that I found quite problematic. And maybe, not everyone would be bothered by them I was.
One of them was when Luca was looking at a picture of Desi's dead mother and made a comment about how she was a looker. Like wtf??? Who the fuck says that about someone's dead mother?!
And also, the one time when Luca said that he liked Desi and she wouldn't say it back right away, he started "playfully" throwing overripe avocados at her. And while this is totally something that I could see happening in a K-Drama, and I'm assuming that that's what the author intended, I felt like it didn't translate well to a Western audience.
And then near the end of the book I was just so annoyed with all the characters. Desi was taking the whole Step by step plan way too seriously and just acting like such a teenager! Which I get that she's supposed to be a fucking teenager, so maybe I'm just too old to put up with this folly. But I literally started cheering for them not to end up together, since how many high school relationships actually stay together.

But despite my complaints, this was still a super fun read!
I would give it a 3.5 stars!

Comments

Popular Posts