Yay or Nay?: The Greatest Showman (Movie)


Ladies and gents this is the moment you've waited for...



WOW, I really appreciate good musicals like this one was. 


The Greatest Showman is simply that. The Greatest. 

Seriously, from the first number where Hugh Jackman sings “ladies and gents this is the moment you’ve waited for” I got chills. It’s been rare since a musical was able to do that to me, and I think that’s an indicator of what a great film it is. 



The Story

This is the story recounting the life of P.T. Barnum, and his family while creating the most iconic brand of all time: the circus as we know it. 

         I know right? So short and sweet? I can't believe it either. 




My Thoughts

At first I had no clue who the characters were, much less P.T. Barnum, but you don’t need to know who they are or what they’ve done to enjoy the film. The music is fantastic, it has this almost magical quality to it, which has a way of wrapping itself around you. It’s one of the only soundtracks which I bothered to download. 

The characters too have this magical quality and that’s what’s focused on. The magic of imagination, of unique nature, and of being yourself. I don’t know how to explain it, but this movie just had so much “colour”. There was so much going on, and they had a way of making it all so beautiful and enjoyable. I related so much to the message of “being yourself”, even when life tells you you should be something else. 



The actors and music, as I’ve said is perfect and fantastic. The singing is on point and manages to seamlessly blend a modern “feel” as well as a more traditional musical feel. You’ll get an ingenious blend of really everything when you watch this, not just because Zac Efron and Zendaya are in it. Hugh Jackman, as usual, and as I’ve already said, nails his performance. 

My Rating 

Definitely a ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Give this a watch, buy, or stream! You’ll have a night full of feels, great fun, and good music if you do! 


~Meghan 

Comments

Popular Posts