Yay or Nay? Lost in Translation (Movie)


Another one of our Japan inspired reviews!

The Story


Two people accidentally meet in Tokyo. One famous, one not. One old one young. One a bored movie star shooting whisky commercials, and one Yale grad trying to find the meaning of life. Both feel lost, bored and unhappy with their lives and marriages. When they meet, they find some understanding at last.


Our Thoughts


Olga: The story was quite simple which made it very nice in a way. Because of that, there is not much plot in the movie. Which is not a problem for me, but it certainly would not be a movie for everyone. There's no action scenes or major dramatic moments. There are a lot of introspective moments, and shots of Tokyo, and close-ups of the characters' faces etc.

Several quotes can be pulled from this film that one could draw connections to one's own life and reflect. One such quote for me was:

"I just feel so alone, even when I'm surrounded by other people."

There was also one particularly comedic scene that was awkward but entertaining. I am still confused if it was actually meant to be funny or not. But whatever, it was something I did not expect at all which is always good.

Meghan Lost in Translation was a really funny, yet weird movie. On one hand, I love Bill Murray, and Scarlett Johansson, as they have some of the best chemistry I’ve seen in a bit. On the other, I suppose this movie seems to lack a bit of purpose. But this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If anything, this movie stresses the differences in culture between one that North Americans are used to and Japanese culture. Which I can respect, and realize that this is what has been “lost in translation”. 

One of my favourite scenes was when Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) and Bob (Bill Murray) run through the streets of Tokyo with some friends, from shooting BB guns and then doing karaoke in said friend’s apartment. That, and the really awkward stripper scene. That scene I will let the viewers discover if they haven’t seen this film, but it has no place, and yet, totally belongs in the movie. Much of this movie is like that. There’s things, people, and elements that belong, and those that don’t. It’s repetitive, yet not. By all accounts, I should be repulsed at such a film, but I enjoyed every minute of it. 

I’d even dare to say a step further than that. I loved this movie. I loved its little nuances, such as Bob not being able to figure out an exercise machine, and wanting to go home to a shit life. I loved Charlotte listening to tapes of motivational speakers, trying to find her own purpose in life. I found these little things I could relate to profoundly, regardless of if I actually traveled there or not. That’s just how my life is going right now. True, there’s no story, but the characters really steal the show and make it as captivating as possible for you. And then, when the two characters meet, it’s this random act of being together that gives them a purpose, and a state of enjoyment. I think that’s really beautiful. 

So, I’d definitely give this movie a watch if you haven’t!


Olga's Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Meghan's Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Overall this was a pretty pleasant movie with much artistic flair, and we would recommend to anyone in a mood for some slow-burning action.

Comments

Popular Posts