Our June Favourites

Olga's Favourites


1. Black Butler 

 Sebastian is my role model for everything and I want to be able to lift an apron without touching any of the dishes just like him! He is a demon butler, and the show gets dark but there are amazing humor and light-hearted moments in there too. It takes place in Victorian England, and definitely has a unique premise and can be very atmospheric. (Meghan: I TOLD HER TO WATCH THIS) 



2. The Crown's Game 

 All about two sorcerers in Imperial Russia competing to not die!!! Does that not sound amazing!!!!??? There's lots of action, intrigue, and love! It's a very underrated YA read, so you guys should definitely check it out!



3. Chatime 

Lovely bubble tea place. Free delivery cause of Uber Eats. That was very exciting for me. (Meghan: take me there! Or order it...I don't have a preference!)




4. Breakfast Poutine at the Breakfast Blues and Barbecues Food Truck 

 I went to this Food Truck festival and this tasted so good!!! So unhealthy but do good!!!




5. Kim's Convenience

 I watched the first 2 episodes of this literally like 30 min before this blog post was scheduled to come up... Cause I had to, because it is perfection. Also, it helps that I have a weakness for shit set in Toronto cause I love recognizing the different landmarks! The humour in this is unapologetic, and at the same time supports diversity while poking fun at the extreme PC culture. I have never sounded so artsy before. It's all cause I am dead after this one fucking midterm I just wrote, and I ramble in those moments. 



Meghan's Favourites

1. Limetown

I used to listen to an episode a day to go along with a hard cardio workout, and it's so good! It's an unfinished podcast narration series about a woman named Lia who's chosen to find out what happened to the people of the city of Limetown, who after an unknown disaster, disappeared. There is an aspect of horror to this podcast which builds the tension and mystery, but I'd love for it to be finished! Regardless, do check it out!




2. The Truth

In place of "Limetown", I started listening to this podcast for my daily workouts, "The Truth". Each episode is a short story narrated by different people, and they can range anywhere from creative non-fiction/ fiction, to horror in general. You don't need to start at the very first episode and listen to any episode you like in any order. My favourites so far have been "Eat Cake", "Interruptible", and "Spin-Class".



3.  Convocation

Yes! I convocated, graduated, and officially have an undergraduate degree! I'm so happy that I got this far, and accomplished so much. I can't wait to start graduate studies up in September!



4. Magical Girl Ore

I haven't managed to get very far in this anime, but I plan to watch it in full in a few weeks. At Anime North, Olga and I went to watch new anime in a special viewing room, for a regular series they do at this con called "Fresh From Japan". This was one of those pieces we managed to catch, and boy is it funny as hell. It's a fresh, funny, and plain enjoyable anime to watch, centering around an aspiring singer named Saki who is employed to be a "Magical Girl". But in a funny twist, her magical form takes the shape of a muscular man in a dress. Particularly, I love how this show manages to break the fourth wall so many times. It's a funny Deadpool-esque style of anime!




5. Bonsai Tree

I hope this plant will be alive still when I write this. I bought a tiny bonsai tree at the start of the year. I've named it Dave the Third. Why the third? I tend to kill any plant except cacti that I try to grow. So hopefully Dave III will not die. I would be really sad if he does.

6. Jellyfish Princess Vol. 8 

I finally read this! And oh boy did I love it! It really cleaned up the Singapore arc very nicely, although I'd like to find out more about what happens with Mr. Fish. I can't wait for the next installment of this manga to come out!







~Olga and Meghan 



Comments

Popular Posts