Big Mouth (TV Show) (April Review)



Olga: I honestly cannot fault this show for anything. It gets so many things right. So, in no particular order let me talk about some of the highlights:

No fucking bullshit! They talked about all the pains of growing up including menstruation, puberty, first relationships, adultery and it was amazing and funny. I love shows that are honest af

I don't like sugar-coating. Sugar's bad for the teeth. I can't help but remember the one time I watched 7th Heaven for like 5 minutes. It seemed like there was a halo surrounding the dad and his relationship with the mom seemed all perfect and pure and holy and blah blah and I wanted to vomit.

And I never watched 7th Heaven. Does anyone else hate 7th Heaven?

Meghan: I don't know what 7th Heaven is, enlighten me????

This is what it is Meghan: Imagine being a goody-goody two shoe virgin who loves Jesus and America too, returning home from school and turning on the TV to watch a previously pre-approved by parents show. It is very likely that 7th Heaven would be it. It's about this perfect white family where the dad is the pastor the mom a housewife (I think) and they have 7 kids (cause no one's heard of anticonception). This kind of shit makes me barf

I just remembered that this isn't a 7th Heaven review, my bad.

Meghan: ahhh, so something bland, like a saltine cracker. I may have to review this later in the future, but I'm tempted to think it's something like the parody of it "Too Many Cooks". Adult Swim has scarred me for life.

So back to Big Mouth - there was respect for the audience because they told the truth and didn't hold back. Fuck the censorship!!!


Most of the authority figures were also fucking hilarious!
In particular Nick's parents:


Meghan: Fucking Nick's parents are the epitome of parenthood!!!! His father literally killed me when I was watching this! 



And the hormone monster people thingamajigs:


That's the kind of sass that I like! I wish I wasn't doing like 10 different things as I watched this show (I do this for everything I watch) so I could actually remember exact quotes from the hormone monsters, but Meghan's got some below. Over to her :-p

Meghan: Oh God this show is a gem and brings back all the haunted memories of elementary school sex-ed. And high school sex-ed. We both went to Catholic School, and arguably, the sex-ed was not very good. 

And you can say all you want about this show, but it does get the important things right. Who would've thought you could make a show dealing with the gross awkwardnesses of puberty? 

Maybe vagina is, like, slang. 

First of all, I just about died in the first minute of this episode where they were like "fallopian tubes? I thought girls had vaginas? Well, I guess they don't." 

The female anatomy is confusing and I'm not sure I still fully understand it. I can sympathize with you guys. 

Also, the hormone monster steals the show.

WE'RE GONNA JACKSON POLLOCK ALL OVER YOUR DESK. OMG, I can't even!

He's an abstract artist and having looked up his work in conjunction with this, I'm disturbed. 

A Jackson Pollock painting. 


This show has some of the best writing ever, and I am not joking. I think the balance between comedy and the characters going through the "changes" is some of the best I've ever seen for an animated cartoon show doing this type of thing. Everything feels relatable, and by extent, it makes itself funny because you've actually experienced the joke. (Olga: I vote this show gets played in health classes) (Meghan: Seconded).

I also thought it dealt with both male and female issues equally and very bluntly. There was no inching away and cringing from certain issues. Everything was on full display. I remember in episode 2 Jessi, the main girl, gets her first period, in white shorts, while on a field trip, and she has to learn how to deal with that. Of an interesting note is that she goes "I thought this was supposed to be a magical time!" (paraphrasing), but the idea was amazing. It's pure, unadulterated truth.

                                        

 One of the running storylines for the first few episodes is that Nick saw Andrew naked when he was staying over at his place. It becomes awkward, but what was even funnier was when the hormone monster came in during the night. Of course, things happen and when Andrew asks "what do I do with the mess?" the hormone monster is like "sleep in it, pig". The balance between reality and comedy is amazing. Also kinda gross, but like, borderline gross. 






 While trying to deal with typical teen issues, such as budding relationships, and first kisses, the aspect of fitting into one's new identity as an adolescent sits at the forefront and the background. 

As it does in reality. We all can remember that, regardless of gender. Puberty was awkward, but it was something you had to deal with behind the scenes while also trying to fit in. I thought it touched a really deep part of me that was trying to repress these awkward moments and all I could remember whenever a character would go through something was "oh dear, oh god, don't do that". 

It's also a funny Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde moment whenever the Hormone Monster comes around. It's the perfect representation of, well, hormones. As a result, the creativity of this show makes itself really unique. It stands out from that of other shows.

For example, the third episode deals with Andrew contemplating if he's gay or not, and I thought that this was pretty interesting, because that's something that not a lot of people talk about, and I mean besides the obvious bouts of humor they added in, it was in itself unique. I didn't feel that they were bashing it at all, I felt like they were honestly trying to show the struggle someone might go through during this time.  

And there seemed to be a genuine journey that Andrew goes through during this time. 

And the Hormone Monster/Monstresses. Yes, they're horrible people, and at times, quite funny, but they serve an important purpose. They pretty much symbolized the problems of my high school life. And they're not completely bad in the show either, they actually care about the people they haunt, and well, they voice desire. 

If I had one, maybe I wouldn't have been so awkward. (Olga: yes you would have) (Rebuttal: Perhaps not, mon cap-i-tain!) But I digress, back to the review...

Yeah, I really enjoyed this show for its creativity and subject matter. It's smart in its own way and genuine in others, as well as funny. 

Our Ratings


Meghan's Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Olga's Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐




Comments

Popular Posts