Yay or Nay? Princess Jellyfish (Manga)



Meghan absolutely loves this manga, and she's been trying to get me to read it or a long time. She's attempted to get it for me for Christmas, but the store didn't have it!


Anyway, my local library was stocked with a higher quality, so I was able to finally read it! Now onto the review:

The Story

The story line focuses on two eccentric, but extremely lovely characters: Tsukimi and Kurano. Tsukimi is obsessed with Jellyfish. She draws them, steals them from aquariums etc. She lives in a boarding house with girls who have equally unusual obsessions (they call themselves the Amars). One night she runs into Kurano, who appears to be a very fashionable and beautiful woman. Or is she?

Kurano comes from a high-profile political family, and does not fit in with them at all.

The plot thickens when the house where the Amars live might get sold to be demolished as a part of a new redevelopment project. And... Kurano's brother happens to work for the city council that's proposing the redevelopment!


And then the plot further thickens in like 10 different ways. Just read it for yourselves, I won't spoil anything :-p


My Thoughts

I absolutely loved how unique each one of the characters was. Tsukimi was shy, but reflective, Karano outgoing and flamboyant, Kurano's brother focused and reserved (with a sweet side). The other Amars were also super adorable with all of their quirks!


I was (well still am, since it wasn't resolved) completely fascinated by the city development/demolition story. The scene where they went to the meeting to try to stop it was super enjoyable for me to read. I must be a complete Business nerd, but I cannot wait to see how it will get resolved in later volumes.

Also, the chemistry between Tsukimi and Kurano... Holy Mother Fucking Damn. 

AHHHHH!!! <3
Even my cold bitter heart slightly stirred during their moments.

Just in general, many moments made me smile. Or completely laugh out loud. The humour was on point. Just look at this example here:

Basically a meme :-p


There was however one thing that bothered me a bit in this story: the voluntary unemployment of the Amars... UGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!. They are not gonna be able to live off of their parents' money and goodwill forever! And do they not realize how bad that is for the economy? Here's an article that proves how bad it is for those able to work to not work!

Overall though, this story was absolutely lovely. I liked the way in which it encouraged readers to be themselves, but also to get out of your comfort zone when needed.

I definitely look forward to reading the remaining volumes (Meghan, lend me Vol 2 please :-p )

4.5 Stars

~Olga

Comments

Popular Posts