Yay or Nay? (Special Edition: Olga Steals Meghan's Books) - The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin (Book)

I'm writing for the second time in a row! What is going on? Am I actually contributing here? This is news to me...
But anyway, today I'm here to talk to you a very unique and well-renowned fantasy novel which has received the Hugo for each book in its series! 



The Story

The Earth is destroying itself and natural disasters are commonplace, sometimes resulting in Seasons - periods of constant ashfall and the need for pure survival. A woman who has just lost her child, a displaced girl, and a member of an organization for the unnatural, are thrown into this world with different stories and experiences to tell. 

My Thoughts 

This was probably one of the most unique fantasies I ever read. In part, because some of the time it didn't even feel like a fantasy at all! There were many elements of apocalyptic stories in there, and the whole time it just felt real! The characters had similar emotional struggles to those that we might have today! And I saw the allusions that the author toward the way that we live and treat the Earth now. She always described in the novel, the Earth being "angry". Just like it's angry now from the plastic and the pollution! Jesus right!

Another thing that I loved was the mystery surrounding the entirety of the first novel. There's just so little known about why their world works the way it works. Which makes it so exciting to learn the tidbits as they come along! Although, in my opinion this factor has made books 2 and 3 a little less fun to read since, the major twist in book 1 kind of removed the mystery factor in those ones. They were still super good though! 

I don't wanna go into any more since I feel like this is one of those books you simply shouldn't know too much about! 

4.5 Stars!

Have any of y'all read this? What did you think? Do you have any other recommendations for us? Leave your comments and we'll reply!

~Olga

Comments

Popular Posts