Oscars 2019 Nominees - Olga Watches and Reviews so that you don't have to!


It's the academy awards time again! I enjoyed doing this post last year (link) and so I thought I'd do it again. I think I enjoyed this year's line up more than last year's tbh. And I noticed an interesting trend of adding humour to otherwise serious films (which is amazing and I wanna see more of!). But enough chatter, let's get to it!

(All summaries and photos taken from Imdb)


Bohemian Rhapsody
The story of the legendary rock band Queen and lead singer Freddie Mercury, leading up to their famous performance at Live Aid (1985).



  • I was entertained the entire time, and songs of Queen were stuck in my head for several days after. Some of the musical scenes were truly epic and I could feel all sorts of emotions. Some humour was incorporated as well, which I appreciated.
  • However, the pacing felt off to me. It was as if they tried to cram the surface of the main issues in Queen's existence and Freddie's life, that I felt like there was some depth missing in the development of side characters and the fleshing out of the themes of sexuality and AIDS. I feel like this would have been more impactful as a mini-series instead, to be able to showcase more character development and to fix the pacing.
  • In some research that I did, I discovered that there are some historical inaccuracies in the film, but I think that they appeared to create more impact and were not meant as an oversight. I won't reveal more cause SPOILERS (although I'm guessing most people know what happened?)
  • I would still give this a fairly high rating though, because the acting was amazing (Kudos to Rami Malek!) and I enjoyed myself the who way through.
3.5 stars

Roma
A year in the life of a middle-class family's maid in Mexico City in the early 1970s.



  • I made it through 20 minutes of the movie. I nearly fell asleep. And I do not sleep during daylight hours! Nothing was happening. How can a dude park his car for 3 minutes straight! Probably only my dad who's obsessed with spying on our neighbours parallel park across the street.
  • This was not something for me. I don't enjoy movies that are black and white just for the sake of being black and white. Any symbolism that might have been there went right over my head. I'm not enough of a movie person to be able to get into a production like this.
  • Perhaps one day I will give it a try again, when I feel like watching something of this sort. All the amazing reviews have to be based on something, right?

No stars because I didn't finish

Black Panther
T'Challa, heir to the hidden but advanced kingdom of Wakanda, must step forward to lead his people into a new future and must confront a challenger from his country's past.



  • It's Marvel. Nuff said. I knew this wanna gonna be awesome, and it still exceeded my expectations. Plot, action, effects, humour - everything was there.
  • Something of note, that I noticed when I recently rewatched it, was how women were portrayed. All the fellow lady characters (Nakiya, Shuri, Okoye, etc)  had their own passions and dreams and were following them and asking for no help from no man! And that I found to be important and I feel like we need more of this!!!

5 Stars

BlacKKKlansman
Ron Stallworth, an African American police officer from Colorado Springs, CO, successfully manages to infiltrate the local Ku Klux Klan branch with the help of a Jewish surrogate who eventually becomes its leader. Based on actual events.



  • ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!
  • It made me angry like hell and yet portrayed the reality of what the differing characters' motivation is! And at the end drew comparisons between how it was then and how it was now and it's not all that different and that's even more scary. And that upside down US flag that was shows at the end ... Holy shit (it's a symbol of distress in the country).

5 stars

Green Book
A working-class Italian-American bouncer becomes the driver of an African-American classical pianist on a tour of venues through the 1960s American South.



  • The two completely opposite personalities of the two main characters were entertaining af! Tony was vulgar, ..... All proper, it was basically a buddy cop movie except they weren't cops. But I was actually laughing out loud at their dialogues, which was so unexpected, I thought this was gonna be more somber of a movie. But that's not to say it didn't raise serious issues properly. Racism, personal identity, family, belonging were fleshed out beautifully, and performed well by all actors.
  • The atmosphere of what the 60s were like in the US was also portrayed very well through different parts of the country as well as with different social classes. The vibe was realistic and filled with great soundtrack and landscape.
4.5 Stars

Vice
The story of Dick Cheney, an unassuming bureaucratic Washington insider, who quietly wielded immense power as Vice President to George W. Bush, reshaping the country and the globe in ways that we still feel today.



  • This was a political biography film, and yet it was told in a unique way due to the humour used and some other techniques that I would not imagine seeing in a film like this (like having the characters talk for one scene in Shakespearean language). And since long films about politics tend to get boring, at least in my experience, this one did not!!! I hope this trend of putting humour in serious films is starting to become quite a trend, and I really hope it doesn't stop!
  • Acting was a huge strongpoint, I legit could not believe that Dick Cheney was the same guy who played Batman!

4.5 Stars

The Favourite

In early 18th century England, a frail Queen Anne occupies the throne and her close friend, Lady Sarah, governs the country in her stead. When a new servant, Abigail, arrives, her charm endears her to Sarah.



  • This was also very different and quite unique. It was essentially a more satirical take on a period drama, and had a strange sense of humour. I quite enjoyed it, I think it showed the politics of English court in a way that was both light hearted but also dark at the same time. It struck a balance that is essentially almost impossible to achieve.
  • One thing that's unclear to me is why Olivia Colman is being nominated for Best Actress for her portrayal of Queen Anne, and Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz for Supporting Actress? In my opinion, the latter two had more screen time than Colman (I could be wrong about that, but that's what it felt to me) and to me it seemed like the film revolved around their rivalry a lot more than what Queen Anne was up to. Does anyone know why they did this like that?
4 Stars


A Star Is Born
A musician helps a young singer find fame, even as age and alcoholism send his own career into a downward spiral.



  • I was very impressed with this! I absolutely loves watching the chemistry between Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper enfold, and seeing how their characters' relationship changes as Ally's career grows further. The had complex personalities, which was very interesting to watch.
  • The MUSIC!!! Nuff said. Shallow is stuck in my head 24/7.
  • I know Meghan was quite unimpressed with this movie and told me how it ended, and this one detail early on that foreshadows the ending. So I wonder how I would've felt watching this if I hadn't know. I feel like I wouldn't have caught on to the foreshadowing because I normally don't notice such things. Maybe I would've been unprepared for what came.
4.5 Stars

Incredibles 2
The Incredibles hero family takes on a new mission, which involves a change in family roles: Bob Parr (Mr Incredible) must manage the house while his wife Helen (Elastigirl) goes out to save the world.



  • I definitely can't say anything bad about this one! It lived up to the high expectations after the first one being so amazing
  • I don't have any specific notes to say here, but i was thoroughly entertained and empowered afterward and did not see certain twists coming.

4 Stars



Ralph Breaks the Internet
Six years after the events of "Wreck-It Ralph," Ralph and Vanellope, now friends, discover a wi-fi router in their arcade, leading them into a new adventure.



  • This was incredibly touching and profound in regards to the theme of friendship. I think that made this film relatable to all generations in part. Younger kids can learn the value of friendship, the teenagers going into university can relate to going on different paths from their friends, and the adults reminisce about friends of the past. It's truly a family affair, and I love how kids movies of the last several years really try to appeal to everyone who will see them.
  • And I just loved the creativity with how they made the internet look and work! And also the excitement of the chase scenes! And the virus outbreak!!!! All in all, this is a must watch.
5 Stars


And that's all for today. There's many more that I wanted to watch but couldn't get to (ie. Spider-man Into the Spiderverse), but those may be reviewed sometime in the future! If you've seen any of these let me know what you thought in the comments!

~Olga

Comments

Popular Posts