Yay or Nay: Miss Fisher's Modern Mysteries

I am still #obsessed with Miss Fisher clearly! So, I decided to use the remaining days of my Acorn TV subscription to watch the 1960s spinoff of Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries!



I have so many thoughts about this show! Some good, some bad, this review might be all over the place! 

Let's start with what I didn't like. As you can probably tell, this show is a spinoff from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (which we've talked about multiple times on this blog AND IS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, EVERYONE WATCH IT!!). Being a spinoff, I thought that there would be many references and to the original show. But it didn't even make sense how Peregrine, the main character, was related to Phryne! Her being Phryne's father's bastard daughter did not make sense in the way they explained it! And I wanted them to drop little hints as to what happened to the characters from the original show! What happened to Jack, Dot, Hugh, Bert, Cec, Prudence, Dr. Mac, etc??? I MUST KNOW! All i have to fill in the much needed closure is fanfiction. Which is making my head go down a bottomless gutter. I make dirty jokes unconsciously now. 

Other than that, the show is very good and hold its own quite well. It is clear that they wanted to make it fairly separate from the original, to benefit the viewers who haven't seen the original I presume. I found all the new characters very likeable and well cast. Peregrine was super cute despite her flaws. I was always cheering her on, and she seemed to have the best intentions at heart always. Just like Detective Steed, who was just very... Pure. There's no evil bone in this man's body. And of course, he and Peregrine had obvious chemistry BUT KEPT GETTING INTERUPTED JUST LIKE PHRACK! 

I liked how they incorporated the members of the Adventuress club into the show and made them the background ensemble. I found their characters fairly well fleshed out for side characters, which might be thanks to the longer length of the episodes. Which I think that 90 min length was actually a very good length to fit in a complex mystery plus character development. This is something that I wish the original Phryne had, cause sometimes the shorter episode length didn't leave much room to explore the side character's stories.

All in all, this is a solid series and I hope they make more! Cause 4 episodes isn't enough!

⭐⭐⭐⭐4 Stars

Comments

Popular Posts