What Olga's Been Watching Lately: Historical Edition



So it seems that this whole quarantine has been making me want to return to the older "simpler" times, because it seems that all I want watch and review is historical fiction. So below, I present 3 historical bangers of shows and movies that I think are worth a watch whether or not the good ol' days are calling you or not. They sure to warm your heart and believe in a better future.


Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries



BEST.SHOW.EVER.

Meghan off-handedly mentioned this show to me, not even thinking that I would like it - WELL FUCKING HELL THIS MADE AS OBSESSED AS A DOCTOR WHO TUMBLR FANBLOG OWNER IN 2012!!!! I also didn't think that I would enjoy a sassy lady detective frolicking around 1920s Melbourne, solving mysteries with an unexplainably sexy Inspector quite this much.

Every episode managed to have a complex, coherent, interesting, and well-paced mystery. Normally, those kind of monster-of-the-week shows aren't too appealing to me, as there is a lack of continuity and encompassing arc that carries engagement throughout the whole series. BUT HERE THE SHEER SEXUAL TENSION AND CHEMISTRY BETWEEN PHRYNE AND JACK ARE RIDICULOUS AND MAKES ONE WANNA SHIP THEM SO HARD!!!! AND THAT'S THE MAIN REASON WHY I AM OBSESSED!!!!

I recommend this to everyone! This show has aspects of so many genres that there's something for everyone to love!

Click here for Meghan's review!

Anne With an E



This is a brand new Netflix adaptation of Anne of Green Gables in a series format.
It is very sweet and heartwarming. I particularly enjoy how they keep the vibe and the highlights from the original work, while expanding the storylines of the characters and introducing some modern elements. I particularly enjoyed the nods to feminism.

Actors were chosen very well and it looked like a very high budget production with the beautiful nature shots!

The first episode drags a little, but it's worth to keep watching!


Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie



I love when a tragic WW2 story is balanced with charming characters, small towns and a lot of heart. In this one, an author accidentally comes across a book club on Guernsey that was formed during the Nazi occupation. She gets to learn more about the members and their stories, and feels an immense connection to the Guernsey island.

I really loved Lily James and Michiel Huisman here! I love them individually as actors usually, and here I felt that they had excellent chemistry. The storyline was strong as well. Even though, the topics of the film were quite heavy this was a fairly light story, making it more unique.

The book that this movie is based on, is also excellent and written in letter format!


That's all for me today! Until next time!

Olga

Comments

Popular Posts