Olga Watches Movies Nominated for Oscars for the Third Time



I cannot believe it's this time of year again. Where is the time going? I still picture myself being a little stressed student drinking my nights away. I'm a corporate slave now with no time for blogging, but I still found the time to half ass this time somehow. 

I must say the few selections for this years Academy Awards have impressed me quite a lot. BUT. I have an issue. HOW THE FUCK DID KNIVES OUT ONLY GET ONE NOMINATION????? IT WAS LITERALLY LIKE THE BEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN! Fuck the Academy. Bunch of old grey haired pricks. 

So before I go into a full blown rant, I'll just go straight to my reviews, I've procrastinated long enough. I meant to see more of the selections too, but my schedule did not allow me to see more. My laziness may have also gotten in the way. 

THE REVIEWS



The Two Popes
A movie exploring the dynamic between popes Benedict XVI and Francis I.
Looking at it, as simply a movie, it was absolutely amazing! Casting was spot-on, narration incorporating flashbacks made for a very engaging watching experience. It was beautifully written with some real zingers thrown in there. Overall, there is a lot to praise.
But...... IT WAS SO FUCKING HISTORICALLY INACCURATE! Read this article it if you wanna see how badly: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/12/the-two-popes-real-story
And you may say, "Olga, you're overreacting, they have to dramatize the real events to create an interesting story blah blah". And I agree with this, but when you say that your work is based on real events then it should be based on real events. Whereas about 70% of this was based on made up events and false opinions. When I watch or read anything based on real people I like knowing that the creators stayed close to the truth, because straying too far away could cause large numbers of people to believe in false versions of events! So this kinda irked me. Especially since some of the things that I was hoping were true turned out not to be! 


The Irishman
Holy fuck guys.... I am extremely impressed... Mostly at myself. I never though that I would ever sit through a move longer than 3 hours that wasn't Lord of the Rings. SO I have to say that this film made me fell good.
Thankfully, it was very engrossing as well, despite the slower pace. It was all about the involvement of Jimmy Hoffa (founder of the Teamsters union, very big deal at the time) with the mafia. And i loved how intricate and well drawn out the story was. The writers did an amazing job taking advantage of the length to make it seem like you were seeing their lives pass by, rather than just having the highlights stuffed into a normal feature movie length. This one is not for everyone, but if you're into any of the following, I would recommend it: 1. The godfather/Al Pacino/Robert de Niro 2. The Labour Movement 3. Slow moving but ambient films.



Joker
This was different than what everyone expected to see, I think. I went to see this with my 14 year old brother and he was basically falling asleep from boredom. My view was different, I thought it was a very interesting backstory into the mental issues and that make one become a villain. Joaquin Phoenix did a marvelous job acting the part. I certainly never thought I'd feel bad for the Joker! 
I think this film is very captivating, just don't expect it to be action-packed and lighthearted like most other superhero movies, as its appeal lies in the introspective character building.



Marriage Story
Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver portray a couple going through a divorce. And it is intense and emotional and I loved it.
Character building and portrayal is unreal. The characters and their relationship feels real and deep and pictures the flaws and resentment that can fester in a marriage. Scarlet Johansson better win for this!!! Even though I've never been married, I could relate to the harshness and awkwardness of the situation. After watching, I'm not sure I want to have children or get married ever. And if so, the prenup must be solid. What I appreciated most I think, is that I didn't feel inclined to choose sides in the divorce battle, since the flaws of both were portrayed and I felt a little sorry for both of them. Also, I really enjoyed the dynamic that the different lawyers introduced, and how the divorce proceedings are seen from the legal perspective and what tricks are used. I love watching shit like that. 
Also... ADAM DRIVER SINGS!!!!!



Knives Out
BEST FUCKING THING I HAVE EVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF SEEING. EXCELLENT IN ALL REGARDS I WAS BASICALLY DROOLING. FUCK THE ACADEMY FOR NOT RECOGNIZING IT ENOUGH! 
Also this above sentence was almost a direct copy of what Meghan's thesis supervisor said about her work at her defense. Good job girl! 
I realize this is not on topic but it's midnight and there's no better time to rant and praise your bestie than the dark cover of darkness.



Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Tarantino's epic ode to the Golden Age of Hollywood is how this film was often described by critics at the time of its release. And I would wholeheartedly agree with this claim. There's certain ambience surrounding the story that made me feel nostalgic for that time period, that i wasn't even alive in. For a lot of the time, it feels like nothing is happening, until the different pieces come together in the end. The allusions to the real world are genius and make this really interesting to watch - particularly if you're familiar with what was going on at the time (I recommend familiarizing yourself with Charles Manson murders before you watch). I enjoyed this movie a lot, although it feel a bit dragged out in parts. Although the ending absolutely made up for it. 
And lastly - FLAMETHROWERS. Nuff said.



Little Women
This was an adaptation to Louisa May Alcott's novel, that stayed faithful to the material and was sweet and wholesome and perfectly enjoyable - particularly for girls everywhere. Saoirse Ronan portrayal of Jo was impressive and she made that character come alive and feel so real! The only real disappointment for me, was unfortunately Emma Watson. She seemed a bit stiff, and her american accent was terrible. I'm not sure why she keeps being asked to play roles where she has to do an American accent, cause it just doesn't come out of her naturally. 
It is still worth watching as it is well made and it made me super happy! Which is rare for the critically acclaimed movies, as they usually deal with heavy topics. 

~~~
What are you guys thinking of the nominated films? Which do you think will win Best Picture? 

I need to go to sleep cause I feel like I am deranged. Some parts of this post I prewrote earlier, so those are the ones that sound normal. The rest I'm adding now, so that's where the mess is. 

Anyway, the summary of this is: Fuck the Academy.

Olga out.

Comments

Popular Posts