Our Favourites of February!




Meghan's Favourites:

1. Li-Young Lee- I never thought I'd be thanking my Criticism class for something, but I was introduced to Li-Young-Lee's poetry as an example to critique for Russian Formalism. His poetry blows me away! It's so beautiful, surreal, and a bunch of other words that express nothing but good things! The poem I love most is Early in the Morning.

2. Jellyfish Princess #7- I need the next one to come out! I read it and it left me on such a cliff-hanger! Grrrr...I need more! If you've read it...I hate to admit this, but I like Kai Fish. I know he's supposed to be the guy we don't like but I do! (Olga: I can't wait! I'm on Vol 4 right now) (You gotta meet Kai, he's an enigma!) (Olga: Oh damn, I am so excited now :-p)


3. English Sonnets- Screw my unending love for boring, old things! I recently was tasked with writing a sonnet of my own, and I actually find it hard, but enjoyable! (Olga: You are such an English nerd. To me the word "sonnets" triggers the dreadful memories of my high school English class. Such a dark spot in my lovely high school experience)

4. Nise No Chigiri- Not a new favourite, but a manga I love that I've been getting back into. It's literally the best thing ever. It's got love, action, betrayal, and ninjas, and surprisingly some Japanese history that may be interesting. Please check it out. I bought my own physical copy from Japan (though I can't read Japanese), but you can read the English translation by clicking the link in the name!

5. Black Veil Brides: Vale- A old-time favourite band of mine, Black Veil Brides, recently released a new album, and at first I was a skeptic of it, as I'd been falling out of favor with their music with their last album. But I think the new one is actually alright. There are a few good songs on this one that I haven't stopped listening to. I would recommend "Vale: This is the End, Ballad of the Lonely Hearts, King of Pain, Our Destiny, and The Outsider."


6. Transformers: Lovingly Reviewed by Aalgar- Again, not a recent experience I've had, but something I've been getting back into because when my Internet was down for a week I needed something to listen to. These podcasts were already downloaded to my phone because I really loved them. If you like vintage cartoons, and if you like Transformers G1 from 1985 (as I do), you'll love Aalgar's review of them. He lovingly points out the flaws and awesomely great parts of the beloved TV show. You can listen to his reviews of both G.I Joe and Transformers here



7. The Basement Yard: Joe Santigato- As a lover of his YouTube videos, I would regret not saying he has a hilarious podcast. I usually listen to these when working, to bring a bit of life into my day. You can listen to his podcasts here

8. Cycling- I'm not one for working out a lot, but I make sure I do a bunch of running every day for 30 minutes. Helps to keep my stress-levels manageable, and it's healthy too! Recently, we just got a cycling machine, and I've been doing that hard-core for 15-20 minutes after cooling down from running whilst listening to Powerwolf. I love it! 


9. Blogging: Yeah, I was waiting for the month I could officially announce it. I've never tried blogging before, I've only seen others do it. But I love the experience! I love this blog and reviewing those things that we love to see in media. It's taught me a lot about managing, social media, advertising, and demographics! I look forward to continuing this in the future! (Olga: YEEAAHHH BLOGGING IS THE BEST!!!)

10. When In Rome: Seriously, this movie was great. It's old and a little cheesy, but it's adorable all the same. In fact, it's a nice rainy romance movie that you can check out on Netflix one day if you're feeling bored. But I loved it for its adorableness and humor, even if it was a little overdone. 



Olga's Favourites:


1. The Crown (Season 1) - I did not expect to like this at all. Don't even know why I started watching. And while the first couple of episodes was a bit slow, this show gets so good! I love how it portrays the entire royal family as flawed and human. I absolutely loved the political aspects it dealt with (basically all the stuff with Churchill), and I'm literally watching season 2 as I write this. (Meghan: BUT WHYYYYY...you know my feelings on this unless it's a period drama, or the Young Victoria) (Olga: I think this would be considered a period drama lol) (Meghan: BUT I DONT LIKE IT AS A PERIOD DRAMA)



 2. Dior Commercial with Natalie Portman.- I don't understand my fascination with this commercial, but it is absolutely stunning. The emotions that it illustrates a sort of represent the kind of life I want to experience. It spoke to me in a way I could never expect from something that's trying to sell me perfume! (Meghan: It's quite a captivating commercial)

3. Natacha Oceane - She is a health/fitness/nutrition Youtuber, and one of the most positive and inspirational people I've had a chance to watch. She promotes having a healthy relationship with food, and motivates me to be a total badass during my training.

4. Resistance Bands - I've been incorporating these into my workouts and HOT DAMN! They make everything hurt so good, such a useful tool to add to building these gainz :-p

5. Question a Day Journal - I got this for myself at the beginning of the year, to be able to reflect on my life more, and sort of keeping it like a time capsule of my life to look back upon in the future. I love the fun questions intertwined with the serious ones, it's making me more reflective about who I am and who I would like to be. (Meghan: Oooo I like these too)

6. Darker Shade of Magic - What a lovely introduction to a new fantasy series! I'm loving the characters, the magic system, and I'm so excited to see what's to come in the remaining books.



7. Black Panther - Amazing story and it looks absolutely awesome in 3D!!! Took my little brother to see it as his birthday gift, and it was perfect. I love the deeper insight it had to share on some world issues too. (Meghan: Goddammit I want to see this one!)

8. Poke Bowls - Why can these not be cheaper so I could have them for lunch every day??? If you don't know, these are basically bowls of rice, raw fish, veggies and are very popular in Hawaii!



9. @HotDudesReading - One of the most hilarious accounts that I follow. Other than Meghan's personal Instagram :-p But that one's funny only in a way I would find funny. (Meghan: My Instagram is inspiring, but I also follow this account and it's pretty funny)








Comments

Popular Posts